Monday, March 15, 2021

Local Food Far Away and the Need for Small Farm Networking 


 So this past weekend, we decided to take a drive north. We opted to spend a night in Santa Barbara. My wife and I spent a weekend there when we were dating 24 years ago. We thought it would be fun to revisit plus we love the beach. 

Santa Barbara has a reputation for being laid back, hip and fresh. Some of the most influential small farms and restaurants in the west are located here or nearby. We got a room with a balcony overlooking the harbor and beach and then sought out food. Turns out that our experience was not terribly laid back, at least when it came to eating. And it was very different then we remembered it from two and a half decades ago. 

I am sure corona virus didn't help, as restaurants were limited to outdoor seating. There were crowds with long wait times at most eateries and the weather was chilly and windy. Finally we settled on the Bluewater Grill. I had the sirloin with scalloped potatoes and asparagus. My wife had shrimp tacos and my son, a cheeseburger with home made potatoes chips. 

Now, I should state I have wanted to be a food critic for a long time. I pretty much eat like a garbage disposal and probably look like I don't even take the time to taste what I am shoveling into my mouth. But I do. As a vegetable farmer I am always aware of taste, texture and presentation. I also want to know where my food comes from. Who grew it and what did it do for my experience. 

As we were looking over the menus at the Bluewater Grill, my wife noticed that there were "Rainbow Carrots" from Blacksheep Farm in Riverside. I was excited and perplexed all at once. Excited because I love to see that my home region is providing food to a place like Santa Barbara and that it is called out on the pages of a higher end culinary establishment. 

But I was perplexed because I didn't know this farm. Granted, as much as I think I know everything about everything small farm, especially in Riverside County, I don't. I perused "Local Harvest," Riverside Food Systems Alliance-Fresh and Local publication and other sources and came up with nothing. The name seems oddly familiar but then again it could just be that I like it. In any case, it got me thinking. 

There is obviously a need for greater networking and promotion of the farms in my region. I think now is the time for a Farmers Guild in Western Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. I will organize a get together to see what interest there is for other farms and farmers to get involved. I will find Blacksheep Farm. And I will let them know I saw their carrots on a menu in Santa Barbara. 

Now, as for my food at the Bluewater Grill, it was OK. My sirloin was quite good. More rare then medium but a nice piece of meat full of flavor. The asparagus was cooked perfectly though I would have liked more of it. The scalloped potatoes were a bit salty but otherwise creamy and good. My Cumulation IPA from the Topa Topa Brewery was awesome. Strong citrusy flavor with hints of spice and pine. A perfect compliment to my steak. My biggest complaint was the service.  Our server was absent most of the time and slow to bring refills after asking if we wanted them. As usual the busboys were a saving grace-- Fast, efficient and always moving.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

 The Practice of Natural History as a Farm Management Tool I don’t know a single farmer, regardless of the scale at which they grow- whether...